Working title: Ludic Ecophilosophy
practical reason sub specie ludi
onto-ludi: the play of the world
the four categories of play:
- - agon
- - alea
- - mimesis
- - ilinx
the domains of play:
- - micro
- - meso
- - macro
- - eco
organizer for next saturday: Eris Psychedelia Diskordia, email@example.com
caved and joined instagram and revived my twitter account
- twitter dot com: janfmiller
- insta: jan4miller
event: End of sprint for our young lady of Diskord's first SKRUM
- date: Sweetmorn 35th of Confusion, YOLD 3186, year of our young lady of Diskord 0
- time: 17:00 ----- 22:00
- location: Mijnsherenplein, zijde voetbalkooi, grasveldje, voor de ingang tot de Tempel van Ilinx
- date: july 4th 2020, gregorian calendar
Geachte heren, dames, andere wezens,
Aanstaande zaterdag, tussen de uren van 17:00 en 22:00, wordt een evangelisatiebijeenkomst gehouden voor het Diskordianistische genootschap Ilinx, gevestigd in de Tempel van Ilinx, Millinxbuurt Rotterdam. Deze webpagina wordt een spiegel van het draaiboek.
an entry timed 23:11 on 25-06-2020 Gregorian, YOLD 3186/0
as part of my studies of the ludic structures of society, I am carving out a niche that is outside the everyday hubbub about already existent discursive frameworks like states, religions, ideologies and yes: even philosophies - that are current in the >>environment<<. The goal is to gain a space and time on the "outside" of everyday thinking, in order to properly grasp its meaning, reflect on any elements that offer room for improvement, and construct a theory of action adequate to the situation. To this end, I am consacrating a magic circle, drawing upon my DisKorDian faith. By the way, You Too May Already Be a Pope! Read the Principia here, mirror of your pope card here.
behold: the shrine at the Temple of IlInx, Millinxbuurt Rotterdam (the Netherlands, planet Earth).
playing worm june 22nd, 23rd, 24th
there is an important practical component to my explorations of ludic ecosophy, currently expressing itself as a game played over the last three evenings or so at [WORM] [-= @: corner Boomgaardstraat and Witte de Withstraat =-]
here's some of my outfits:
if you want to see me there, just ask around for eris psychedelia etcetera. or just shoot her an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
2020 - 06 - 14
Here's my main project for the next year: thinking ludic ecosophy as a hermeneutic, critical and practical instrument in bringing about personal, social and ideological change. Does that sound like a word salad to you? Just wait until you read the finished work! Joke(s) aside, if you want to know what this means in a practical sense, hit me up because I cherish every opportunity to translate my vague philosophical ponderings into something intelectually digestible.
Current reading list:
- (read) Huizinga, Johan. Homo Ludens: Proeve eener bepaling van het spel-element der cultuur. Haarlem: H.D. Tjeenk Willink & Zoon, 1951.
- (read) Caillois, Roger. Man, Play and Games. Translated by Meyer Barash. Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press, 2001.
- (read) Oosterling, Henk. Verzet in ecopanische tijden. Amersfoort: Uitgeverij Lontano, 2020.
- Fink, Eugen. Play as Symbol of the World. Translated by Ian Alexander Moore and Christopher Turner. Bloomington and Indianapolis: Indiana University Press, 2016.
- Sutton-Smith, Brian. The Ambiguity of Play. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1997.
- Sharp, John and Thomas, David. Fun, Taste & Games: An Aesthetics of the Idle, Unproductive, and Otherwise Playful. Cambridge: The MIT Press, 2019.
- Frissen, Valerie et al. Playful Identities: The Ludification of Digital Media Cultures. Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press, 2015.
- Goffman, Erving. The Presentation of Self in Everyday Life. London: Penguin Books, 1990.
so Jan, what's the big fucking deal?
2020 - 06 - 04
Something happened, and now it's time to redesign my life again. Don't worry - I'm not starting completely from scratch. Goddess knows to what little success I've tried that before. Here's a list of stuff that might be different about me now:
- I'm working on my master's degree in philosophy. Planning forthcoming. Someone requested a progress bar, so I guess I'll have to figure out how to do that with basic html and css.
- No more facebook or whatsapp or messenger. Yes, this is querulous, dumb, ineffectual, etc etc etc, I don't give a shit - at the very least, I'm in charge of what media I use to express myself and connect with others.
- I'm religious again, and am trying to work up some superstition as well. (Unfortunately surpressing my laughter remains a big effort on that front.) Someone might remember my previous forays into discordian lore. Well, that part of me is back. Sorry, not sorry.
- Those who have known me for a while might notice that I've become slightly more contrarian. I know I know, I used to be an edgelord of epic proportions, and I don't want to go back to that either. But I feel I've overcorrected a bit in the other direction and lost a part of myself in the process.
- And finally, and as something of a corollary to the previous point: I'm owning my crazy side now, and I'm flying my freak flag unapologetically. Complaints may be directed to email@example.com.
watch this space
some time late may 2020
content forthcoming ~ ~ 2 weeks
in the meantime, a screenshot
if facebook is your choice medium, I apologize